November 23, 2019

How to Get an Entry-Level Job in Data Analytics? (with Resources)



After eight months of learning and preparing for job interviews, I was able to make a career transition to data analytics! In this post, I will line out some of the steps I took as well as resources for you.

1. Ask the Question: "Why Data Analytics?"

I know from the beginning that I would enjoy doing data analytics. When I did my bachelor's degree in psychology and my master's degree in information studies, I conducted many statistical tests for lab experiments and surveys. At that time, I analyzed small sets of data (N=2000) and used a user-friendly software called SPSS to run statistical tests. 

The field "data analytics" builds upon my education. Instead of small sets of data, I now have to deal with a million records. However, the mindset and approach would be the same.

Ask yourself the question: "Why Data Analytics?" Do you enjoy working with numbers? Do you enjoy finding insights? If your only reason is "because it's a hot field," then I'd recommend you find another intrinsic motivation. If you don't enjoy the industry's nature, you will not last for a long time.

2. Test the water

Thanks to the Internet, you could try dipping your toes into the water to see if you like the field (or if you are good at it). I recommend the following two resources: 
  • Dataquest, an online learning platform for data science: You would read the instruction and then code along the direction in real-time. The website designs their learning materials based on real datasets and possible work scenarios, so you will pick up coding skills and understand what the job would entail. Dataquest allows you to take their first foundation course for free, so you would immediately understand whether or not data analytics would be a career calling.
  • Mastering Data Analysis in Excel (Coursera): This course focuses on Excel, which is still widely used in enterprises. The videos are informative and engaging, offering details on many business use cases. If you are not comfortable with coding, I'd recommend getting familiar with data analysis and sharpening your Excel skills with this course.
As Dataquest requires mental work, whereas the Coursera videos would not need that focus, I spent my morning and weekend with Dataquest when my mind is clear, and I watched Coursera during my commute or after I returned home from work.

3. Build a portfolio (with friends)

Learning is an essential step but learning alone is not enough. You need to translate what you know into a project and showcase it to your potential employers. Think of an interesting dataset, and analyze it! Put your project on a public site (like Github or Azure Notebook). Do a simple slide to explain your project, print it out, and bring it to the interview.

While learning in Dataquest, I looked for data analytics events and discovered `WiDS Tokyo` (Women in Data Science). The event also hosted a data idea competition, so I entered with two friends and won the second-prize. I did not have direct experience working with data for my day job (I was in sales), so this project helped demonstrate that I could learn and implement new materials.

When I prepared for the competition, I focused on building an impressive desk to tell my stories with data (rather than building a complicated model)

4. Applying

Apply to all opportunities. Put yourself in the market, and don't limit yourself.

In my perception, foreign companies usually require "experience," whereas Japanese companies require "characters". Judging that I lacked the experience, I only applied to Japanese companies and ended up being rejected by all of them. Later, I sent my resumes to foreign companies (because I was already used to rejection, huh, what's the harm of just another rejection). To my surprise, they all invited me in for interviews. Huh?

I advanced to the final rounds of three foreign companies, which are well known in their respective fields worldwide. I accepted the offer from my current company, and here I am, working happily in my new position as a support data analyst.

Resources I used for interviews:
  • What color is your parachute? An incredible book that helped you navigate your career aspiration and recognize your strengths and weaknesses.
  • Interview preparation: Big Interview Youtube channel: All job interviews follow the same formula, so try to prepare for all possible scenarios. This channel breaks down the anatomy of typical questions, which is highly helpful in preparing for interviews.
  • Coding test: All companies required me to learn their software, so don't neglect their requirements. For general coding test, use Hacker rank to practice

Transforming your career is a long and exhausting process. Remember that the more difficult a journey is, the more rewards you will get at the end. Just take one step at a time and never give up!

Image by William Iven

No comments:

Post a Comment